Monday, January 05, 2015

Gratitude


I know that typically gratitude and thanks are expressed in November, right around Thanksgiving. I felt thankful then but I feel like the new year brings for me a renewed sense of Gratitude. Right where I am in life... that's exactly where I am supposed to be. Its right where I  want to be and I get to live it out! So I figured now was a great time to put into words what has been floating around in my head since the turn of the new year. 
This last year has been a year of complete and total growth for our family. We've been stretched thin and have come out stronger, learning from everything we've experienced and trying our best to out it all into practice. I have to start with my gratitude for a creator who not only knit me together in my mothers womb, but also picked up the pieces and put me back together after losing our sweet baby last May. He's restored that loss in the most incredible way. May 1st 2014 was the day we lost our first baby boy, our second baby boy is now "due" May 2nd 2015. I can't help but feel the hands of God on my shoulders reassuring me with His promise of life when I allow myself to feel the hurt of the absence of that boy that would be in our arms right now having just celebrated his first Christmas. We have learned so much over the last 6 months or so about the heart and character of God. His Grace is truly unending and I know I'll never fully understand it but it sure is a fun and exhausting journey discovering it.
I know that the growth our family has experienced wouldn't have happened if it weren't for my very best friend and most favorite person (like EVER!), my husband. I would never have thought to ask for the qualities he has been given. His willingness to allow other men into his life to influence and teach him is amazing in itself, but he takes that knowledge that gets passed to him and in turn chooses to disciple his family. He not only teaches us what he learns about grace, he also lives it and allows us to experience it tangibly through himself. There have been a couple of times the girls have been brought to tears because of their father teaching them about Gods grace in situations where they (like all of us) should have had consequences. I'm just blown away, daily, at the love he shows. This pregnancy has left me with little sleep the last few weeks and he's been so amazing in how he has allowed me to rest and has pushed me to take better care of myself (and steps in when I don't). We Wehmeyer girls and blessed to call him ours. :)
Speaking of the girls, I know that its natural with big families, that the older kids take on roles of responsibility, but that doesn't keep me from being blown away when my girls step up to the plate! Just today, Charlotte over heard the younger girls asking me to make lunch while I was in the middle of getting dressed (I slept in) ;-) and she offered to and followed through with making them lunch to their specifications. When I came into the kitchen she said, "Well, I was going to make something for you too, but you came down too quickly." I love my little momma helpers and am so excited to see them with a new baby!! They are all naturals, even little Ruby girl! She received a "Big Sister book" for Christmas and has eaten up every word! We read it every night and throughout the days she asks things like "Can babies eat peanut butter?" or "Can babies run?" and since New years eve it's been "Can babies have marshmallows and chocolate?" :) She'll have an adjustment but I have no doubt when baby man comes, she'll fall in love. AnaB has been loving playing with both big sis and little sis. :) She has the best of both worlds there really, and although I have fears of her developing that "middle child" syndrome, I think she is coming out on top. She has the biggest heart of anyone i have ever met and is setting that example of giving for both sisters. This 5 year old is really going to change the world.

We've been given purpose and direction and the steps to achieve it. I am becoming more and more aware of how rare it is that people have that and that they choose to follow through. To be honest if it weren't for my driven and determined hunk of a husband I don't know that I would even follow through with all that we've been tasked with. I am overflowing with thanks as we enter this new year and are setting our personal and family goals, all the while resting with God as he has our paths set and will walk for us. I'll end with some super cuteness... 


No comments: